K-3D is the free-as-in-freedom 3D modeling, animation, and rendering system for GNU / Linux, Posix, and Win32 operating systems. K-3D features a robust, object-oriented plugin architecture, designed to scale to the needs of professional artists, and is designed from-the-ground-up to generate motion-picture-quality animation using RenderMan-compliant render engines. We strongly recommend the Aqsis render engine for use with K-3D.
K-3D's innovative interactive tutorial system will introduce you to basic use of the program. New tutorials can easily be recorded and shared with the rest of the community.
K-3D allows you to create and edit documents in multiple realtime OpenGL solid, shaded, texture-mapped views. You can even model, animate, and interact with animations while they play back for maximum productivity!
The following features apply to the 0.5/0.6 source tree:
- GNU / Linux (stable).
- Win32 (stable).
- MacOSX (unstable).
- BSD (untested).
- Solaris (untested).
- GNU General Public License (GPL).
- Procedural modeling and animation.
- Interactive tutorials.
- Unlimited hierarchical undo/redo.
- Camera: pan/tilt, zoom, dolly, modeling and tripod modes.
- Viewing Modes: Detailed selection of visible features.
- Hide / unhide geometry.
- Powerful scene graph Procedural Modeling with complete modeling history.
- Selection: Objects, meshes, faces, edges, patched, curves, point groups, points.
- Geometry types: Polygon, NURBS, subdivision, blobby.
- 3D Primitives: Cone, circle, cushion, cylinder, disk, grid, paraboloid, polyhedron, sphere, torus.
- Boolean modeling operations (using GTS library).
- Text: FreeType2 support.
- Instantiation: Create duplicates without adding gemometry to the scene.
- Visualization Pipeline allows arbitrary dataflow - any object property can be connected to any other compatible property.
- Animate any value.
- Unlimited number of animation channels.
- Bezier curve channels.
- Animate modeling operations.
Materials and Textures
- Textures with 16-bit float bitdepth.
- Procedual RenderMan shaders.
- Full RenderMan Support: Aqsis, Pixie, BMRT, PRman, 3Delight, Render Dot C.
- Extensible support for alternate render engines and models: Yafray.
- Render OpenGL previews to disk.
- Python engine (preferred engine for new script development).
- K3DScript engine (minimal scripting engine for tutorials / macros).
- Support for alternate script engine plugins and environments.
- Basic 2D compositing.
- Bitdepth 16-bit float per channel.
- Geometry Formats: Wavefront OBJ, GTS and a raw format are fully supported, other ones are optional and depend on PLIB installation. Experimental plugins include OpenFX, OFF, RIB and X formats.
- Image Formats:
- JPEG (all platforms).
- PNG (all platforms).
- TIFF (all platforms).
- OpenEXR (requires optional OpenEXR plugin).
- BMP (requires optional ImageMagick plugin).
- SUN (requires optional ImageMagick plugin).